Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This is long over-due

I have started many blogs before. They usually end up being changed. This one will be different. I should have started this as soon as Sev was born. From the first day, he was exceptional. As the months passed, it was clear that he was a little bit different.

The day we brought him home, he had amazing tracking ability with his eyes. He was able to focus his eyes on objects for periods of time that most newborns were not able to, according to my research. We decided to develop that with visual stimulation.. all over his room and where we normally played with him.

At 3 months and 3 weeks old, my husband taught him to sign "eat" when he was hungry. We continued with other signs as he was able -"more" sign, "change" sign at 10 months old.

At 18 months he new his alphabet and numbers from 1-10. I decided to also teach him Spanish and Japanese (since he is 1/4 Japanese). It was easier for him to get since his primary language was obviously English. Today, he also knows a little bit of Mandarin and works with me on French with Rosetta Stone.

He has been such an amazing boy from day 1. We are very blessed and constantly challenged. I still have moments where I am wondering if I am being the best mom I can be for him. He is now almost 4 1/2 years old and could probably start Kindergarten already if the districts would allow that around here.

September 23, 2011 we are getting him tested despite conflicting information and feelings on whether it is too early or not. I ultimately feel that the sooner we do it, the better we can plan to accommodate his intellectual needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment