I read a post by a mom today. After stating her younger than 2 yrs child was gifted as they knew colors and animal sounds now, she said she can't imagine why parents of gifted child would ever see their child being gifted as a negative or detrimental thing.
Well.........
I responding that any parent who does not understand how parenting a gifted child could have any negative aspects clearly has never had a gifted child! Yes they are a blessing. Yes they are amazing! Yes we celebrate their reaching milestones before others, their ambition, passions, questioning, endless curiosity, their triumphs and efforts. This is all just a minuscule example of the amazingly wonderful journey of parenting gifted children.
However, there is also the constant questioning, the breakdowns when they do not do things perfectly, the pyschomotor overexcitabilities, sensory issues, many other overexcitabilities they are prone to, many of gifted children have a n accompanying disability such as autism. Lets not forget the external enemies: (many) public schools and (many) friends who do not have gifted children. While the economy and constant budget cuts make the first one not so surprising, it saddens me that friends has to be an enemy. I do understand the inability to not fully grasp what is happening, but many do not even lend encouraging or supportive words. We are all parents. We support each other. We sympathize when children get hurt or are sick. We are happy when milestones are reached..at younger ages. Why does it turn competitive after they reach school age (or younger for gifted children who are more advanced than school aged friends)?
I have experience with this unfortunately. What would I say to these people if they would listen? I would say that being gifted isn't something you can force you kids to become. My child was born this way. He is still gregarious, loving, (sometimes excessively) emotional, five year old (as of 12 days ago). He can read at almost a third grade level now, does third grade math and has an advanced vocabulary. He likes to play with older kids but will also play with kids his age or younger. He. Is. A. Child. A little person with feelings and deserves the attention, respect and support just as much as any other child. That's what I would say (off the top of my head).
Monday, April 2, 2012
Advanced vs. Gifted
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4
Labels:
advanced child,
challenges,
differences,
gifted
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment