Saturday, June 15, 2013

Science, Math, Minecraft -oh my!

In addition to our reading goals (# of books and # of minutes a week), we have science experiments planned. We also have math to focus on. Next year, we're going to try to get the school to allow The Boy to have appropriate levels of coursework. Hopefully this will fight the boredom that had been plaguing him throughout Kindergarten.

According to testing results, he is at a 4th grade reading level and a 3rd grade math level. In order to hone in on these skills, we are planning some fun activities for this summer. Amazingly enough, this can include his newest obsession: Minecraft.

I was able to get Hubby on board with getting The Boy Minecraft by advertising the many ways that Minecraft can be used as an educational tool. (There are SO MANY sources out there, including curriculum ideas, to use Minecraft in education. There is even a school in Sweden that is making Minecraft a required course!) To add to Science and Math, we've already made The Boy make a replica of the Great Wall of China when we learned about it (because I'm an awesome mom and still continued to homeschool him after he got home from -half-day- Kindergarten.) He also had to complete a challenge I set up for him that required him to make a house complete with specifications I listed. He was able to do this, but with his own touches that made it MUCH better than what I had planned. Such a creative kid! Anyway, that takes care of computer lessons (he's also learned how to spell certain words that are required to perform switching between game modes, and add his own messages to items he puts in the game. It has also increased his typing ability) as well as history. Math is also easily incorporated in Minecraft. After all, you have to pay attention to measurements when you are creating items that you want to be symmetrical . There are MANY other ways to incorporate core curriculum into Minecraft. Here is the video I used to get Hubby convinced that Minecraft would be a good thing, especially during the summer (my husband is pro-technology and can see how most games can be educational so this really wasn't hard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RI0BN5AWOe8#!

I might add, The Boy learned how to spell "play" "game" and "home" at three by playing games and having to figure out how to get started and how to go back to the home screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment